Testing & Implementation
D.E. Gemmill Inc. has been a leader in developing a testing and management program. We have spent over 4 years in research and development, so we can provide an affordable solution to bring agencies into compliance. Our knowledge of the traffic sign manufacturing and installation processes, along with the fact that operate a Penn DOT and Maryland SHA approved sign manufacturing facility, makes us the logical choice for being your traffic sign professional.
Developing a Plan to Replace
Let D.E. Gemmill, Inc. use their one-on-one business approach to develop a business-to-business Retroreflectivity solutions plan for you. We will sit down and listen to you and your specific needs. Our individualized plans work with our different client base all while meeting the Federal Highway Administration Retroreflectivity requirements. We will sit down and discuss the plan with you to make sure all of your needs are being met. When the plan is finalized, we will implement the plan keeping you up-to-date of our progress. We strive on keeping our customers in the loop so we can avoid any possible surprises in the end.
3 Reasons WHY You NEED A Plan To Implement
- Liability – ones legal obligations; costs, damages and accountability
- Agencies – responsible and may be held accountable if you do not have a plan to manage traffic signs.
- Enforcing the Law – jury of peers, insurance companies, law firms representing someone who has been injured, or a combination of all of these.
Doing nothing, or delaying the program, will likely not succeed as a defense or relieve you of liability, because your agency is not meeting your obligation.
- Negligence – failure to use reasonable care or do what is required. This is a ‘legal cause’ of damage if it directly and in natural continuous sequence produces or contributed substantially to producing such a damage, so it can reasonably be said that if not for the negligence, the loss, injury or damage would not have occurred.
- Law in effect – this has been in effect for many years providing agencies with sufficient time to have reasonably instituted a management and assessment program.
- No Plan in Place – possible for a jury, insurance company or law firm to make a case that you have failed to meet your obligation and reasonably provide safe travel for motorists traveling on roads you are responsible for maintaining
- Asset Management – whether a government agency, private or for-profit enterprise, economic times have been hard.
Can government agencies or private industries quickly and efficiently provide you with an accurate accounting of the traffic signs they own and/or are responsible for managing? Most likely, the answer is “No.”
In terms of liability, traffic signs may be one of your most important assets, yet many agencies Can Not tell you anything about them.
Some questions you may be asked when it comes to a traffic sign management and assessment plan:
- How many signs do you own?
- How many of each type of sign do you own?
- Where are the signs located?
- How do you keep track of them?
- Do you know the history of each sign installed?
- When it was installed
- Why was it replaced
- What type of post or mounting system is used for each sign
- How often from historical data do I need to replace a specific sign
- How do you accurately budget for sign replacement?
- How can you accurately determine if a sign needs to be replaced?
If you can not answer these questions or provide a report within a reasonable time, you may need a better way to account for your traffic sign assets. D.E. Gemmill would like to assist your agency by developing a plan tailored to your needs and budget. Our professional and skilled staff is looking forward to the opportunity, to serve your agency and educate your staff about Retroreflectivity.